About Me

My photo
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Stargate Atlantis (SGA) Episode “Epiphany”

Episode No.: 212
First Aired in South Africa (SA): 22:00, Wednesday, February 08, 2006 on MNET actionX, DSTV Channel 6
Second Airdate in SA: 18:00, Tuesday, February 14, 2006 on actionX
Character Episode of: Lt. Col. John Sheppard

What I like about this episode:
I really like the time dilation idea. I’m sure it has been done before somewhere in Sci-Fi but this story was well executed in terms of the visuals, the dialogue explaining what is happening, and the idea itself. This brings me to McKay. Normally he would explain the science behind it in a fit of genius. He did do that in this episode but he also used plain old common sense, which was the most effective in explaining the situation. Most notably, “M.A.L.P. on a stick” was just brilliant. So was the use of the yellow flowers to illustrate the time difference and throwing all the food and water through to John. Teyla and Ronan were quite useless so maybe the soon-to-be classic line that Rodney uses was called for from the character. He describes Ronan and Teyla as “Conan and Xena”. Classic! I liked that Weir got to go offworld for a change and did you see how Rodney and Carson protected her when the monster came? I did enjoy seeing the monster throw Sheppard, Ronan, and Teyla around. That was hardcore.

What I didn’t like about this episode:
Some of the reviews I have read for this episode have been pretty harsh. Things along the lines of: They should have had an epiphany that this episode was a bad idea. This episode was very hyped up in the press, promising important insight into who Sheppard is. However, Sheppard was rather used as a catalyst to illustrate the difference between what humans from Earth consider important in life and what the humans from this planet consider to be life. Joe Flanigan did develop half of this story so I say, good job Joe!

Rating: 5

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I `m SGA fan right here in the heart of Cape Town and have been one since Dec 2004. I have been following the show on www since then. I adore the "lost city" premise and like the team dynamics. I suppose not all tv shows can claim success and built their own identity as a spin off series but SGA has been remarkable. I like the characters of Weir & Sheppard imensely , being a "shipper" of course , the chemistry the duo have is just amazing. It does help of course that both Joe Flanigan & Torri H are very very pretty people!;-) Not since the Xfiles have I been "into" a sci fi series and which is pretty odd since I occassionaly caught a SG 1 ep!( SG 1 never did it for me;( )

Bck to Epiphany..it was disappointing esp after promos led to believe we`ll get more of JS backstory. From what I`ve read on SGA fandoms , most were not so happy with the episode. At least Elizabeth went off world and we had John looking yummy with a beard!! It was not too bad after all as it at least gave us an inkling that John has serious abandonment issues. If we can only get some backstory , we`ll know why ;(

It seems consistency in writing esp in terms of characters have been seriously lacking in S2 . The only real character growth we`ve seen is with Elizabeth( i wanna be her when I grow up ;0 ) ...Rodney has also had great eps and DH is a really good actor, but then you know that don`t ya??

Anyway just happy to see a fellow SGA fan blog on www. I am usually lurking on gateworld and livejournal threads. I don`t know if you up to be "spoiled" before shows air over here, if you do then I `ll link you to SGA "download sites" . If have the latest already , good on yer!

I`m looking forward to your reviews each week.

......Bawaahhh , Mnet has buggered this week Critical Mass by cutting it off for last 7 minutes. ;( Say .no.more!!

....sparky!

Candice said...

Hi! Oh brilliant, I'm glad there's a fan here in CPT that is seriously into SGA! I love the premise of SGA and have been watching it since day dot. I remember when MNET started showing ads for the pilot episode: I was reading something and I heard "the most watched Sci-Fi pilot episode in history" and I looked up to see scenes of SGA and was really intrigued. I also, was very into The X-Files and never thought I was a Sci-Fi fan until SGA. SGA made me interested in watching SG-1 but I prefer SGA to SG-1.

From reading Sci-Fi and cult mags I was under the impression we would get to learn something serious about who John as a person is or more about his days in the air force and why he is such a rebel. That didn't happen so I suppose it upset people. But the writers and producers have said many times that they have their vision for the show and they're sticking to that.
I think Elizabeth is a very strong female lead - really like her. I also think David Hewlett is the best actor ever! Seeing how amazing he is on SGA has led me to order some of his movies so I can see what he is like in those.
I check GateWorld everyday but you are welcome to post other links of sites or downloads for me to check out.
Was very upset about the "Critical Mass" screw up and left a nasty message on the actionX forum. Looking forward to actually seeing the episode and am excited to see Rodney and 'Samantha Carter' in "Grace Under Pressure".
Bye

Anonymous said...

*Waves back* Yup Mnet made a big booboo for sure and thats why I prefer getting the latest of Net ;)

Anyway the following sites are my faves and are pretty interesting:-

www.livejournal.com (search interests)

http://episodes.stargate-sg1.cz/

Hope you enjoy rst of S2. GUP is McKay centric and I sure you`ll ENJOY it:)

...sparky!