About Me

My photo
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Monday, July 17, 2006

BYM Challenge

BYM Challenge:





About Me:

My name is Candice. I am currently busy with a PhD in Microbiology at Stellenbosch University. This is currently my 7th year in the science field. I consider myself a microbiologist if you were to ask what kind of science I do but in fact, I am trained in all fields of Molecular, Chemical, and Cellular Sciences, having specialized in biotechnology and microbiology, with minors, per se, in genetics and development, biochemistry, and chemistry. I did my undergraduate degree (with distinction in microbiology), honours, and Masters (with distinction) at the University of Cape Town, where I worked on a fascinating group of bacteria and searched for a cure for TB (Tuberculosis). I’ve even dabbled in some forensics but am currently working on biomining bacteria: Bacteria that live in acid and can help leach minerals out of ores. I also love teaching students, whether it is lectures or help in the lab. I am currently working on my 5th publication.

However, the future of science is bleak. It is a profession requiring hard work, intellectual prowess, and to live making a very poor income. Working your way up the science ladder means that you need a PhD, then you spend years working as a post-doctoral fellow before a lectureship opens up. These are few and far between, as the average age for retiring is 65 in academia. And once again, the pay is dismal. Yes, you could leave and work in the science industry, such as breweries and pharmaceuticals, but beware of being too overqualified, and the fact that the average industry job does not present much of a challenge.

But there is something else about me: I’m restless. I love to travel overseas (and tend to blow my poor income on that!) and dream big, mostly about running my own TV show. Running my own business, obviously, is not that far behind in my mind. My true passion has always been the film and television industry, although I cannot deny that I’m very successful at science. Science has taught me much and I have learnt amazing skills, which will not be lost if I leave science one day: they are life long skills, engrained in me. But, like I said, I dream of my own TV show, and running a production company, to help make my and other people’s dreams come true. While I was mixing up chemicals in undergrad, I got myself an agent and decided to try to make a career out of my love of writing. This was my time to be exposed to the South African film and TV industry. I learnt all the screenwriting tricks, participated in pitching sessions with producers, worked with other writers, directors, and musicians, and submitted my first TV show to the SABC. It was called “Heather Branagh”. I don’t particularly want to go into the details of my TV shows because I really need them to be copyrighted. I don’t want anyone stealing my ideas! Ideas I’ve spent years writing out and developing in my mind. That’s a lot of typing people! One thing I realized: If you want to get into the TV industry, you have to be networking and giving it you full, 100% attention, 24-7-365. I was busy obtaining a science degree and was young and nervous so I left the scene. I did also obtain a level 1 qualification in Stage Directing, and was forced to act! Didn’t know I had it in me. You just have to let yourself go.

I haven’t stopped writing though, and have spent a couple of years now working on a new show, titled “Enter Entropy”. It is meant to fill the slot of a drama series, thus each episode would be 45 minutes in length. This means money, lots and lots of money. I’ve written the show’s Bible. This is the book that outlines everything about the show, from the characters to how everything plays out. All the details baby. My next step is to get the pilot episode copyrighted and put it out there. Do a little pitching, as they say. I’d love to film in Cape Town, but more on this below.

I was also inspired to get into interior design; the details of which are directly below. I’ve said enough about science and really want to talk about my ideas and dreams concerning interior design and television. My science skills and knowledge can be used in making a TV show. Even interior design is useful: Every show needs their sets to be decorated!

So, here goes…



Interior Design:


My biggest inspiration over the past few years has been the US TV show, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Yes, the story is a true success story. Yes, the show and the Fab 5 are known the world over. And yes, the show revolutionized the way the world sees the gay community. But, the main point of this show, and why I love it and find it inspirational, is that this is not a makeover show, it is a make better show. That’s the point: make better. Make your life better, make yourself better, make everything you do better. It’s a way of thinking and a way of acknowledging things around you and what you are capable of deep down inside. The make better philosophy certainly changed my life… for the better!

I love the members of the Fab 5, but Thom Filicia, the design doctor on the show (i.e. interior decorator!) is a real inspiration to me. Thom is, now, most recognized for his work on Queer Eye, or should I say, is recognized as a celebrity because of Queer Eye. He does incredible work on Queer Eye, week after week, helping the straight guy by transforming the spaces he lives, or even works in. And trust me, interior decorating is important! Thom really gets into their heads and works well with every straight guy to create the perfect space for him. Thom has a team of about 3 people helping him. The result is that the straight guys are blown away, ecstatically happy, and even cry. From a recent episode aired in SA, Sean, the straight guy is crying and saying to Thom: “You guys are just great. This is a turning point in my life.”

All the while, Thom Filicia is running his very own successful design firm, Thom Filicia Inc. or TFI. Considering how demanding a TV show is and that they film for many months of the year, it is amazing that Thom is a top interior designer, not only is the USA, but in the world, having recently represented the USA at the World Expo in Japan. But Thom does all sorts of work, including makeovers for Teen Vogue. Interestingly, Thom never stuck around to complete his qualification. He started work immediately when an offer came to work from the bottom up at well-known design firms in New York. Today, he has accomplished amazing things at a young age.

Because of Thom, I enrolled in an interior design and decorating course and have one project to go and then I will obtain my diploma and become a member of the Interior Designers Guild of South Africa. Because I already have a day job, as a scientist, I can only do interior design part time but the idea of going into business for myself has definitely crossed my mind. Perhaps even a family business as my mother is in the property market and my entire family is business orientated. I am the black sheep, having ventured into science. Currently, I give advice to people who need it. Once I have my qualification, I can start charging for my services. Even basic services like floor plans. What I’ve found is that people are aware of the importance of the spaces they live and work in. However, they really need someone to come along and open a dialogue, about interior design. The key is to get them comfortable by talking about design in a language they understand. That I can do, and I do have a keen eye for interior decorating!

I’ve decided to include below information on the process of Thom’s business. For more information on Queer Eye, TFI, or Thom Filicia, you can google the names and get plenty of helpful hits. But the main websites are: www.bravotv.com/Queer_Eye/ and www.thomfilicia.com





Time-honored Classic Simplicity and unexpected Modern Flair - that's the unique and innovative vision of Thom Filicia Inc.

The purity of simple strong lines, a muted palette with splashes of bold color and rich, startling textures and patterns are the signature of Thom Filicia Inc. Although every TFI interior is born of this well honed approach, the results are as different as our clients. Whether a loft in Manhattan, a home in the Hamptons, or a hotel in Miami, each project is thoughtfully discussed with each client to draw out their vision. Only then do we proceed to craft a design by pushing boundaries that create unique and elegant spaces defined by beauty, comfort and style.
An interior designed by TFI respects the importance of architecture, space, and detail while balancing a client's ideas with the TFI aesthetic. The end result is creating space for living and working that's bold in its approach, but that is classic, contemporary, and will stand the test of time.

Process:
Design Concept

During the Concept Phase of the TFI Design Process, our designers meet individually with our clients to determine the specific needs of the project. A Design Services Agreement is drafted and executed and a preliminary budget is set.

Plans are prepared for the design of the space, and TFI presents the client with samples, images and other materials that illustrate TFI's suggested design scheme, such as color palettes, fabric schemes, furniture samples, wall coverings, floor coverings, lighting and window treatments.


Specification & Purchasing

Once a final design scheme is set and the client approves TFI's proposals, purchasing begins. At this point, TFI contacts vendors about the various raw materials, fabrics, hardware, and items of decorative merchandise such as furniture and artwork needed for the project.

After the client submits written approval for TFI proposals, the client will be invoiced for either a 50% deposit, or the full amount, depending on the type of goods being purchased. The vendor will be instructed to begin any necessary construction, customizations, or modifications. Once the item is ready to ship, TFI will invoice the client for any remaining balance, and the goods will be delivered to the work site.


Installation Phase

The final phase works differently for each project, but it is almost always the most exciting part of the process for each client. It is the point at which the TFI Design Team installs all of the furniture, wall coverings, decorative accessories, and other design materials into your home. Pieces are moved into place and positioned according to the design plans created by TFI and approved by the client. The time required for the installation phase varies according to the scope of the project and the type of work being done on the site. Once installation is completed, a project is considered to be concluded.


www.thomfilicia.com





Television:

Many shows have inspired me. Many of those have helped transform the world and have cult following today. They are as much a part of human culture as the movie Star Wars is. Think The X-Files, for example.

Regarding my TV show that I am working on, the biggest inspirations would have to be: Homicide: Life on the Street, The Sentinel, Jake 2.0, Threshold, and Stargate SG-1 (which by the way, is a massive success story, being the longest running Sci-Fi show in US history and drastically improving the Vancouver economy and digital effects warehouses).

I would say that my show, “Enter Entropy”, will have elements of Stargate Atlantis, Smallville, and Grey’s Anatomy.

For more information on my television interests, check out my blog at: www.enterentropywithcandice.blogspot.com

I love Cape Town and have plenty of locations I’d like to use for my show. I’d also like to make use of hand-held cameras for the filming. I definitely believe that there is talent in this country and that all this talent is probably untapped. I would love to see a production company that will give people a chance. I understand why people tend to make shows with an African story to it, but we need to go international. Not in terms of a feature that will give shock value, praise, and then be forgotten. We need to make a show that an international audience will be interested in watching. We need them to be watching our work, week in and week out. I think my show can do that.

It is interesting that the Canadian government ignored their film and television industry for years. People were so desperate to let their talent shine that they worked on police video re-enactments! Now the Canadian film industry is booming… because they got given the chance to.

I’m going to discuss the making of Homicide: Life on the Street and then present some information on the South African film industry.

Homicide: Life on the Street was rated as the number one drama series of the twentieth century. The TV series is based on the true crime book, Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, by David Simon, a Baltimore Sun crime reporter who spent a year shadowing the real-life detectives of Baltimore’s Homicide Unit. It goes without saying that the TV series is worth watching, but the book is a must-read. Homicide was filmed on location in Baltimore, steering clear of the main production hubs of LA and NY. The cast and crew spent many months of the year working and living in Baltimore, and so they became involved with the locals, and the locals became involved with the show. Real homes, bars, coffee shops, and the streets of Baltimore were used in the story telling. The show also contributed greatly to Baltimore’s economy.

Homicide set the standard for shows to follow. The cinematographer used a hand-held camera, swirling about the set on a rolling stool, moving around the cast members. The show was shot as if it were a documentary and the camera a player in the action. The experimental editing made use of repeating the same shot in rapid succession, in order to focus solely on getting the emotion of the scene right. To capture the full emotional punch of a scene, a certain shot or line of dialogue was replayed several times, as if being drilled into the audience’s mind. The film of choice for Homicide and that of low-budget independent filmmakers is Super-16mm film. The more common professional standard is 35mm film. Compared to 35mm film, Super-16mm offers a high-quality wide screen image on low-cost film using inexpensive cameras and equipment and a smaller team of technicians. The producers of Homicide were ahead of the their time because as HDTV (high definition television) blasts onto the market place in the near future, Homicide will be ready for rebroadcasting as a wide screen program. Homicide also set the trend in using songs as metaphors for the action between the show’s instrumental soundtrack.

The DVDs of Homicide and the companion books are available at Amazon.com.











The South African Film Industry:

AFDA: The South African School of Motion Picture Medium and Live Performance:

Production Faculty
School Of Producing

TO KNOW THE MARKET AND HAVE A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING OF THE TYPE OF ENTERTAINMENT BRAND TO WHICH AN AUDIENCE WILL RESPOND. THE PRODUCING DISCIPLINE IS THE CATALYST THAT WILL ACTIVATE THE ENTIRE PRODUCTION PROCESS AND SETS THE STAGE FOR ENGAGING AND PROFITABLE ENTERTAINMENT PRODUCTS.
The producer has three distinct areas of accountability: Firstly, the identification and acquisition of valuable entertainment property, i.e. scripts, creative concepts, directors, artists and performers whom the producer believes possess the persona and wherewithal to indulge market needs.
Secondly, the capacity to raise the finance; assemble and activate production resources to bring to fruition the project on schedule; within budget and paradigm envisaged from the outset. Finally, the necessary acumen to market, distribute and sell the product to generate an entertaining, financially and commercially profitable return on investments.
If you would like to develop the intuitive ability to discover talent and recognize great entertainment property with the initiative to turn dreams into reality, then Producing is your choice to be who you want to be.
School of Screenwriting

A GOOD SCRIPT IS THE BLUEPRINT FOR A GOOD FILM AND IS THE CENTRAL HUB TO WHICH ALL THE MANY DIFFERENT ARTISTS WHO GATHER TO PRODUCE THE WORK MUST CONNECT. SOUTH AFRICA NEEDS GOOD SCRIPTWRITERS AND IF YOU HAVE A TALENT FOR THIS VITAL CAREER PATH YOUR SERVICES WILL BE IN GREAT DEMAND.
To write good scripts you need to be highly informed about the world around you. A screenwriter is deeply interested in relevant social, cultural, philosophical and historical issues that drive societies and the way in which individuals deal with the issues that challenge them and the people they become in order to cope.
Scriptwriters are not afraid to write and rewrite draft after draft until they have succeeded in capturing event structure and escalation and the subsequent character development. This elicits the fine nuances of emotional exploration and social questioning that they set out to achieve. A good scriptwriter will often make a good director so bear this in mind when considering a career.
AFDA utilises a system of team writing. This facilitates a process that models and formalises the collaborative nature of script development in the market place. The process allows for maximum input of ideas, novelty, cultural diversity, research and brainstorming to create relevant concepts and structures for the appointed writer to shape and complete. All students are encouraged to be part of the writing process. This is a compulsory field for directors and animators.
School of Directing

This is one of the most misunderstood disciplines in the filmmaking process. Although the film director should have a thorough knowledge of the motion picture medium, understand the function of all the disciplines that make up the production team, and have the ability to communicate the overall vision of the production to the crew and cast, the primary function of the director remains firmly rooted in having a unique ability to entertain the audience, through the identification and structuring of compelling narrative material and the skilful use of the film medium to amplify the dramatic delivery of the work.
A good director loves to entertain the audience. They know what "turns an audience on" with regard to subject matter and the interpretation thereof, which performances will captivate them, and how to guide the process in order to keep this up throughout the production.
To achieve this, the director must be deeply interested in society and the social and cultural forces that shape our lives. They should be in touch with the audience and know what will challenge them and stimulate their interest and emotions. Directors should have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the world around them from which they can draw on to originate relevant concepts and emotive characters. Directors take note: the size of the audience you can attract to your work will be in direct proportion to the size of your career.
Screenwriting is a must for directors and editing is recommended as a third sub-major in order to provide a working knowledge of the post-production process of filmmaking.


Just a quote by Shakespeare that I wanted to leave you with: “Nothing is so common as the need to be remarkable.”

No comments: