About Me

My photo
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Atlantis Season Finale and Other Comments

SGA Review: “Allies”


“Allies”
Episode No. 220, Season Finale
First Aired in SA: 29 March 2006
Character Episode of: Elizabeth
Rating: 5


OK, actionX screwed up the screening of Atlantis for like the umpteenth time so we’ve seen the season finale cliff-hanger episode “Allies” before episode 219 “Inferno”, where they obviously find a new ship to play with, the Orion.

All I can say is: Those sneaky Wraith!

I was so involved with a potential alliance that I clean forgot that they’d obviously want to find Earth, and a damn clever way too. I would have been very suspicious that the Wraith so freely gave all their information over to Atlantis but obviously the Atlantis scientists checked it out so you didn’t think there would be a virus. It definitely got exciting when you realize that they can’t send nukes onto their ships and McKay can’t use his devices, all because of those sneaky Wraith.

This has got to be one of the first cliffhangers where I’ve thought to myself that they really are not that screwed. They can get to Earth and warn them. Plus, I’d be like, this is SG-1’s problem now and they’re pros, so no worries!
It is a bit weird that Sheppard went missing in those cool F-302’s but he’s probably on the hive ship. As for Ronan and McKay, they can stick together. Ronan can take care of himself, and McKay has grown wonderfully over this season. He is braver and more resourceful and his anger can fuel him.

The SFX of all the various ships and the city was very cool. The Daedalus is minute compared to the hive ships. It was very cool how the camera panned to Rodney and Sheppard on the bridge of the Orion. I liked when the Daedalus comes out of hyperspace and they are under fire immediately!
Dr Weir is actually a very cool female role model.
Good job to the writers because we were played so well. You know there is a civil war among the Wraith so you really buy into the alliance and you think that the attack on Earth has been put on the backburner. But no…
I loved how Teyla knew that this could all happen, simply because “They are Wraith.”
I actually couldn’t believe how comfy Rodney was with the Wraith and how brave he is!
Beckett trying to work with the Wraith scientist was very well done. As was the fun Beckett-Zelenka duet.
OK, so Michael was played by another actor because Connor was at the birth of his first child! Connor did loop his voice over the other actor’s performance. Jeez, Michael was ugly looking!
I love how in Rodney’s excitement to see the Wraith information he very aggressively pushes Chuck on the chair, way out of the way!
What is it with John and sex? I love how John brings a whole room of scientists 2 cups of coffee and then proceeds to drink one cup before poor Zelenka can even stretch for a cup!
I love how Rodney and Sheppard come up with this plan of delivering the virus and are so proud of themselves, standing with their hands on their hips waiting for applause and the Wraith queen says “unacceptable.” The Wraith may be on their way to Earth but at least the Atlantis team have Zelenka and Beckett who know how to distribute the virus into the Wraith hive. They can definitely make use of that. I liked how Rodney pats John on the shoulder as he leaves. Rodney is becoming more altruistic, more of a family guy. It was quite effective how the Wraith makes the point that this is all Rodney’s fault and then fade out on Rodney’s face. Now we have to wait till next season to see what happens.


Atlantis and The 4400:

Watched the first episode of Season 2 of “The 4400” and I heard this familiar voice and then noticed the special agent in the suit was Kavan Smith (Atlantis’ Major Lorne) and he had a really cool role in this episode. He gets the “crazy” disease and some funny things ensue!
I also noticed that the building used as the 4400 Centre is the exact building used in SGA episode “Condemned” where Weir and Lorne go to talk to the government about rescuing the missing Atlantis team on the penal colony.


History Channel Lost City of Atlantis documentary:

I watched a documentary on the History Channel during their Greek Week about the Lost City or rather Lost Continent of Atlantis and it was absolutely fascinating. I’m hooked.
Apparently the continent of Atlantis was located centrally to all the other continents, which if true, would destroy our believe in the appearance of the continents, as we are taught in school. The Atlanteans would travel via sea to the other continents and trade.
Then Atlantis was destroyed and it was thought that the Atlanteans helped spawn the civilizations we know today, like the Maya, Egyptians, etc. Any of this sounding like the mythology of Stargate: Atlantis?
What was cooler, is it is thought that they had something similar to a ZPM. They had a crystal that harnessed the power of the sun, apparently, and gave them energy to have hot water and electricity!
I also found it astonishing how many clues Plato left about finding Atlantis. It is interesting that after all the searching, people have only found what would be structures of ports for the boats. What if the city flew away? Any takers?
There is a wonderful quote from an episode of Due South that goes something like: “All myth is based on truth, even Disney stories.” I can believe that!


Quotes:


Weir: “Rodney, if the hive opens up on us, I want Orion's drones.”
Sheppard: “Which means we're gonna need the hyper drive to get in position.”
McKay: “Which means we'll need shields, which means you want everything!”
Sheppard: “I like everything! Can we do it or not?”
McKay (sarcastically to Sheppard sitting in the captain’s chair): “Well, don't get up!” (He snaps his fingers at one of the crew) “Shields!?”
(The crewmember runs over to him and shows him the computer tablet she is holding. He looks at the screen, then turns to John.)
McKay: “Yes.” (He turns to another crewmember.) “Jump into position?” (The crewmember shows him his computer tablet. Rodney looks at it, then throws a look at John's back.) “Mmmmaybe.”
(He turns to another crewmember.)
McKay: “Release the drones?”
(The crewmember shakes her head.)
McKay: “Probably not.”
Sheppard: “Well, it's pointless to get in position if we can't fire.”
McKay: “Y'know, let's talk about it for a really long time - that'll help for sure.”
Sheppard (into radio): “Rodney's doing everything inhumanly possible to be ready.”


Weir: “I think we can safely say our cover is blown.”


McKay: “This -- this is incredible! I can't believe they actually sent this over so freely. I mean, if I can figure out how to break through this programme - which is, well, as you know, pretty likely - we could nuke any hive ship that we came across.”

Beckett (smiling at the Wraith): “They call it flashing.” (He briefly opens his lab coat at the Wraith.)


McKay: “I get it! I get it. You think you're smarter than I am. You ready to go or not?”
Hermiod: “I have been for some time.”


Beckett: “No! I'm sorry - an aerosol gas is the only way to go!”
(The Wraith snarls at him. Carson backs away nervously.)
Beckett: “Not that I want to anger you, or not take any of your ideas into consideration.”


McKay: “They didn't need you on the Daedalus?”
Hermiod: “Colonel Caldwell believed my time was better spent disabling their jamming code.”
McKay: “Huh! So, they can fly that ship without you.”
Hermiod: “Yes. But apparently you cannot run these tests without me.”
McKay: “I'm sure I would have been fine.”
Hermiod: “I am not as sure.”
McKay: “Really? Well ... (He bends back down to his computer and types rapidly for a few seconds.) OK - try it now.”
(He straightens up and folds his arms smugly. Hermiod works for a few more seconds, then a message comes up on Rodney's screen saying, “SIMULATION SUCCESSFUL.” Rodney turns to face Hermiod triumphantly.)
McKay: “Well, well? Turns out the human knows what he's doing after all.”
Hermiod: “Indeed. Your assistance on this project will be noted.”
McKay: “My “assistance”?”


McKay: “Only everything you've ever wanted to know about Wraith technology but were afraid to ask.”

McKay: “He was guiding me down the hall, not sucking the life out of my shoulder! We are sorry.” (To Ronan) “Say you're sorry!”
Wraith: “That will not be necessary.” (Ronan releases it.) “He was protecting his superior. I would have done the same.”
Dex: “He's not my superior.”
McKay: “Certainly not in ... every sense.”


McKay: “Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa! Hold on -- we're supposed to be allies!”
Wraith: “I'm afraid the alliance has been dissolved.”
McKay: “D'you have any idea how much work I have put into all of this?! I haven't slept in thirty six hours!”
Wraith: “Perhaps it is better if you rest.” (It takes a stunner pistol from one of the guards and shoots him.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"he building used as the 4400 Centre is the exact building used in SGA episode 'Condemned'": It's the Chen Centre for the Performing Arts, part of the University of British Columbia, based in Vancouver.

Candice said...

Thanks for the info! It is a beautiful building. I'm going to the Stargate Con in Vancouver next year and I also want to talk to some scientists at UBC so maybe I can go check out the rest of the campus and see the building.