About Me

My photo
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

SGA "Inferno"

SGA Review:

Episode 219: “Inferno”
First Aired in SA: 5 April 2006
Character Episode of: Rodney
Rating: 5


There’s lotsa banter between Rodney and Sheppard and placing the pressure on Rodney, in a fun way! Also quite a lot of sexual innuendo (this isn’t Queer Eye last time I checked) but it was funny and well done nonetheless!

I loved this episode. I think it is definitely one of my all time favourites and I’d say my favourite from season 2. The Gateworld ratings also puts “Inferno” as the top episode of the season, with no surprise here, “The Tower” as the worst.

I loved the dialogue, the SFX (especially when the Stargate is devoured by the lava; that rocked!), and the whole idea of a natural disaster (OK, not so “natural”) at the extinction event level! Scary stuff, and of course, it gets even worse when the Stargate is swallowed up and members of the team are ‘stuck’ throughout the episode. I’m so glad the ash was included. It always annoys me when there are people that won’t listen to reason so we get to see McKay, Teyla, and Ronan experience frustration. I don’t mention this enough but I love Joe’s facial expressions; they’re so critical to the Sheppard character. And I loved it when poor Carson was trying to find a seat and squeezing his eyes shut. Brings back some of Beckett’s moments from season 1.

I’m actually surprised that Rodney wanted to call the ship Enterprise, seen as David Hewlett is such a Dr Who fan.
Rachel has more new clothes!

Even though the episode order was all screwed up as this was the finale of season 2 for us, this episode was brilliant because you’re afraid for the characters throughout, there is a climax, and the whole story is resolved within the episode. Yet, we are left with the fact that a single hive ship is on its way to Atlantis. That was a really nice touch and it didn’t interfere with the main story at all. I love natural disaster stories and I loved seeing how our favourite Atlantis team has to cope with battling the elements and trying to become ‘unstuck’. This was a real threat for our characters, whereas the Wraith are a bit boring now. I must mention that the swallowed gate and jumping to hyperspace thing for a split second has been done before on SG-1. But I love the execution of the ideas here.



Stargate Atlantis Episode “Inferno” Written by Carl Binder: Favourite QUOTES


McKay (defensively): I have a very firm grasp of Ancient technology.
SHEPPARD: You've blow up entire planets, Rodney.
McKay: That wasn't my fault!
SHEPPARD: Well, it didn't do it by itself!

LYCUS: Our knowledge of the technology is limited, and the Ancestors regrettably neglected to leave behind instruction manuals.
(Rodney laughs derisively.)
McKay: Actually, they did. You probably just couldn't understand ...

McKay: And by "we", he means me, so ... (he reaches behind him and pulls his laptop computer, which was velcroed to his back, off with a loud ripping sound) ... shall we get started?
NORINA: I'm sure I could learn a lot from you, Doctor.
(Rodney looks startled.)
McKay: Oh! Well, I'm sure I can learn, um ... (He trails off, embarrassed, while Ronan grins at him and Teyla unsuccessfully tries to hide a smile.) Let's start here, shall we?

NORINA (referring to the way that Rodney ran to the door when the tremors happened): What were you doing?
McKay (bluffing desperately): Well, that, that was, uh, that was the ... standard military procedure. In the case of an earthquake, one hides ... uh, well, stands in a doorway and, uh, just checks the ... structural integrity of the building ... for the sake of the civilians.

WEIR: Good idea. Hopefully we can establish an alliance with them. A ship like that ...
SHEPPARD: ... would come very much in handy now that the Wraith are probably on their way -- I know. Uh, I'm gonna get back there now -- uh, make sure he's not distracted.
WEIR: Distracted?
SHEPPARD: Ah, well, the lead scientist, uh, she's very, um ...
WEIR: ... hot?
SHEPPARD: I was gonna say attractive. But McKay is acting very, uh ...
WEIR: ... smitten?
SHEPPARD: I was gonna say pathetic. (He turns to leave.)
WEIR: Wait. I should head back with you and begin negotiations with the Taranan leader. What's he like?
SHEPPARD: Oh, you know. He's a guy. Didn't pay much attention. Sorry! (He turns and walks away.)

NORINA: Yes, there's an enormous amount of heat beneath the surface.
(Rodney turns and looks at her.)
McKay: Hmm, you're telling me.

SHEPPARD: Is there anything we can do to relieve the pressure somewhere else? Uh, maybe we can fire a drone down into the crust on the other side of the caldera.
McKay (irritably): Every problem has a military solution in your world, doesn't it? Look, when this baby goes, the whole thing goes.

SHEPPARD: The ship in the hangar. Maybe McKay can fix it.
(Rodney's terrified expression changes to one of irritation.)
McKay: Oh, maybe I can fix it! Place the pressure squarely on my shoulders for a change!
SHEPPARD: Well, I've discovered you're pretty good under the threat of impending death!
(Rodney points at him as if he's about to start shouting at him, then realises that he's absolutely right and calms down a little. He walks over to Norina and puts his hand on her arm.)
McKay: I am, actually. (He turns and runs out of the room. The others follow him.)

McKay: And I have, uh, discovered the ship's name. (He looks at his computer tablet.) It's the, um, Hippaforalkus.
SHEPPARD: The what?!
McKay: Yeah, well, it appears to have been named after an Ancient general ... Hippaforalkus.
SHEPPARD: Well, we're not calling it that!
McKay: Oh good, then what about, um ...
SHEPPARD: And we're not calling it The Enterprise either!
McKay: I wasn't gonna say that! Look, for my second choice, though, I'd go with, um ...
SHEPPARD: How about we name it later?
McKay: Fine.

SHEPPARD: Yeah, well, whether or not we live or die is all up to Rodney.
McKay: This is so unfair! (He and Norina head off.)

NORINA: I have already learned so much from you just in the last few hours. (Rodney looks at her.) Perhaps one day I could study under you.
(Standing behind them, John looks up to the ceiling in disbelief.)
McKay (looking away): Uh, yes, well, I really ... um, really look forward to that. But first, we need to, uh, get off. (John squints at Rodney's back.) Uh, first we need to get off the planet ... first we need to get off the planet, and then you can be under me ...
(The complex shakes. Rodney promptly ducks down under the console, leaving Norina to fend for herself. John, being more of a gentleman, runs over and holds her as she tries to keep her feet. Outside, two massive pyroclastic columns erupt from the surface.)
(Inside Orion, as the earthquake subsides, Rodney pops his head up from underneath the console.)
McKay: OK, that was a big one. That was a lot stronger than the, uh ...
(He looks around to John and Norina who are just straightening up, their arms still around each other. They gaze at each other.)
SHEPPARD: You alright?
NORINA (gazing into his eyes): I'm fine.
(Rodney looks away, fed up. He stands up and taps the console hard.)
McKay: All good under there.
(Reluctantly, John lets Norina go as Rodney turns and walks to another console.)
McKay: OK ...

SHEPPARD: We've found a sister ship to the Aurora ... called the ... Orion. (He smiles at Rodney, who grimaces and groans.) McKay's trying to get the sublight drive online.

SHEPPARD: Looks like there's a lot of new vents opening up -- a lot of ash going into the air. They're headed towards the settlement. We don't have time to wait for the Daedalus. How are those engines coming?
McKay: I'm not even close.
SHEPPARD: Well, then, I guess we're all gonna die.
McKay: Oh, you're doin' that on purpose!
(Norina turns and looks at John, puzzled, but he gestures to her to stay quiet.)
SHEPPARD (nonchalantly into radio): What?
McKay: You're creating an impossible task that my ego will force me to overcome.

McKay: We don't need to go far. Any old orbit will do.
SHEPPARD: And then what?
McKay (rolling his eyes and leaning on the console): Well, then, Norina and I were planning a small dinner for us all, nothing fancy ...

McKay: That's the plan!
SHEPPARD: That plan sucks!
BECKETT: Aye!

SHEPPARD (nervously): OK.
(Norina is smiling at Rodney.)
McKay: What?
BECKETT (staring at him): Very clever, Rodney.
(John is still looking a bit wide-eyed.)
McKay: Hmm. Well ... don't thank me ‘til it works ... which it probably won't. ‘Scuse me. (He ducks down beneath the console.)

ORION CONTROL ROOM. Rodney is lying on his back on the floor, working on the underside of the console. Norina is squatting down and holding a computer tablet so that he can see it, while John and Carson are also squatting and watching. Rodney snatches his hand back from the console with a cry of pain.
NORINA: What?
McKay: Oh! I bent my fingernail back! I hate that!
(Carson lowers his head in disbelief.)
NORINA (condescendingly): Yes, that can be painful.
McKay: Yeah, will you look at that?! (He holds his middle finger up to show her.)
SHEPPARD: Are you done?!
McKay: Almost. Look, does anyone have nail clippers?
BECKETT: Rodney!
(John smacks Rodney's leg.)
McKay: Ah! Not helping! Alright ... (he types on the computer that Norina is holding, then reaches up to the underside of the console again and adjusts something.) So ... (he counts off the items on his fingers) ... hyperdrive's ready, inertial dampeners engaged, shields are up ... We're good to go. (He scrambles up from underneath the console, stands up, then stares, wide-eyed.) Whoa!
NORINA (nervously): What?
(Rodney blinks.)
McKay: Got up too fast.

SHEPPARD: Where's the P.A.?
McKay (pointing to the Captain's chair in the middle of the Bridge as he runs to a seat at a console and sits down): Arm of the chair.
(John sits down in the Captain's chair as Norina finds a seat at another console. John activates the P.A.)
SHEPPARD: Alright, folks, all chairs and seat backs into your upright and locked positions.
(The area around the chair lights up as he settles into it. He frowns at Carson, who has so far been beaten to the seats he was aiming for by both Rodney and Norina and who now looks around the room in a panic, then runs to another seat.)
McKay: Don't hold your breath -- it could happen any time in the next half an hour.
(Carson finally sits down and screws his eyes shut as he hangs onto the arms grimly. The ship starts to vibrate.)

No comments: