About Me

My photo
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Thursday, March 23, 2006

A More Recent QE Review - The Pilot!

Queer Eye Review

Episode 1.24: Lawson Clark – You Never Forget Your First Straight Guy
First Aired in SA: 15 March 2006
Rating: 4

I loved how Lawson’s father was interested in him marrying his girlfriend, Gable, because it would be Clark, Gable.
Anyway, this is the pilot episode people, or rather the proto pilot episode. All I can say is that the Fab 5, as we know them today are the perfect choice, they’re the best, they’re fabulicious! I also think Thom does a much better job than the original design expert. The three guys that were eventually replaced were really not dynamic. I liked Sam although it struck me that he was like a mini-Kyan!
I really find pilot episodes fascinating to watch; especially the early 90’s pilots (X-Files, Homicide, ER, Friends, etc.) and I think the eventual pilot for Queer Eye really got you addicted. This proto pilot was different to the show we know now but you could definitely see the formula coming together. I do find it really interesting that it took so long for the perfect cast to be selected. I really love the Fab 5 and the format of the show as we know it. Watching this episode really proved that Carson was a real catch, and very much a leader of the pack. I liked that the Davids (the creators and producers) and Carson and Ted (the only originally cast members) talked you through the original pilot. I loved how Carson commented that he has always felt like a gay reality TV star, he just was not official, not on a show. How true.
What I would love to know is how those guys that were replaced feel about the success of the show and the fact that they are not part of it.

Anyway, Lawson was the first and he was really good with the Fab 5, bearing in mind that this was the first time this sort of thing ever happened. I’ve been listening to some radio interviews and I agree with the observations made: People are more accepting of the gay community because they’ve invited 5 gay men into their living rooms each week. They’re watching real gay people. I can understand that point of view. I was speaking to my friends about this over the weekend and they agree: When I watch the show, I don’t think to myself that I’m watching 5 gay guys, I think I’m watching 5 experts and I really like the ideas they present.

I don’t know why it has taken me so long to type this, but Thom has got the Tom Selleck, Magnum, p. i., eyebrow raise thing pegged! Love it!

Quotes:


Carson: “Ted’s not wearing his glasses.”
Ted: “It’s true. I couldn’t see anything for the whole pilot. It was really difficult.”
Carson: “That’s why he was wearing that shirt.”

Ted: “This was the origin of your use of taking the tragic clothes and sending them to Trajikistan.”

Carson: “I rubbed him down like Seabiscuit. It was great.”

Carson, to Sam: “Corky Romano.”

Carson: “God knows I’m bisexual. Buy me something and I’ll be sexual.”

Carson, on postal workers wearing polyester:
“No wonder they shoot people.”

Carson, about Sam: “…the product palooza.”

Ted: “Ohmigod, he’s washing dishes.”
Carson: “He must’ve just peed in the sink.”

No comments: