About Me

My photo
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Monday, March 13, 2006

SGA Episode: "Michael" Review

SGA “Michael”

Episode No.: 215 (SA); 218 (Overseas)
First Aired in SA: 8 March
Character Episode of: Dr. Beckett
Rating: 5


Note: This episode was slated as 215 at the start of the year on gateworld.net. It was screened overseas as the 18th episode of the season and gateworld has also indicated that change. There does not appear to be any continuity errors.


Connor Trinneer:

Connor is one of my favourite people and is truly talented. I am inspired by his extraordinary talent and his love for his craft. He’s also a great, kind man. And, he’s been to Cape Town!

When I heard he landed the very important role of Michael, I was so happy and thrilled for him. When I heard about Enterprise (first I thought it was about viennas; South Africans will get that) I thought Scott Bakula would be the one to watch, especially since I loved him as Dr Sam Beckett in Quantum Leap and knew how talented and versatile an actor he was, with much experience. But it was Connor Trinneer that stole the show from his first appearance on the pilot. Well, him and Porthos, the beagle. I was also so excited that Connor and David Hewlett would be acting side by side on Atlantis, my favourite show. I was also just thrilled to see that Connor had work after the cancellation of Enterprise (have many thoughts on that but will spill if someone requests what I think). Michael was soon to be a recurring character, appearing in the final episode of Season 2 and also in Season 3. However, much to my dismay, Connor could not reprise his role in the season finale “Allies” due to personal reasons. Another actor has been cast to play Michael. It’s my wish that Connor could reprise his role in Season 3.

Connor made this episode worth watching. After being a little bored watching Grace Under Pressure and extremely bored and frustrated with The Tower, I was on the edge of my seat, listening to every word, and watching every action in Michael. Connor is a talented actor, like Tom Hanks and Kevin Spacey are talented. He’s right up there in my opinion.


What I thought of the episode:

Basically, my thoughts are those of Michael’s. I’ve included the dialogue below to get the point across. I’ve also got some issues about the DNA science behind the story but I won’t bother because this is Sci-Fi (enough said). The way that Michael found out who he is has been done before but I really loved how he worked through the CDs backwards. I’ve also got some issues with Beckett’s filing system! The security was very lackadaisical. They must have thought what if this didn’t work? But obviously they didn’t because Michael was free to access plenty of information in the city, even under surveillance. An intruder could have a field day in there! Now they’re in serious crap, which is really their own fault, but had to happen because the season is coming to a close, so they need to up the “we’re screwed” drama in the last few episodes, so that you’ll be dying to see what happens next season.

Michael: “So what are you saying, that being a Wraith is some kind of disease - something you think you can cure? What gives you the right to do this to me?”
Sheppard: “We're at war. The Wraith will stop at nothing to kill every one of us. And we'll stop at nothing to make sure that doesn't happen.”
Michael: “You made up everything: my name, the photograph of my parents.”
Sheppard: “The whole point was to erase any trace of Wraith inside you, not to keep reminding you of it. And trust me, you're a helluva lot better off now than you were before.”


Teyla: “I would like to be your friend. I would.”
Michael: “You expect me to believe that?”
Teyla: “You may not understand this now but making you human ... I believe this could make your life better.”
Michael: “Really? Because from what I was told, you made me human in order to make your lives better.”
(Teyla stares at him, unable to argue against that.)
Michael: “So tell me then: What makes being human better than being a Wraith?”
Teyla: “They are evil. They kill us, feed on us, show no mercy, know nothing of compassion ...”
Michael: “And humans are different?”
Teyla: “Yes.”
Michael: “So what you did to me - that was done out of compassion?”
(Again, Teyla cannot answer.)


I loved that they wrote in some of good ol’ Rodney’s obsession with food.

McKay: “Ah. Hey, what happened to the, um, to the blue jello?” (He points down to his tray where he has left some red jello.) “My favourite - all of a sudden it's off the menu. What gives?”
(The man shrugs and walks away.)
McKay: “Thank you!”
(A woman walks over and takes the seat next to Rodney. He looks round at her and rolls his eyes, then picks up his computer tablet and walks away.)
Teyla: “They call them Meals Ready to Eat. It was all I could gather on short notice. Doctor McKay quite likes them, actually.”


There were some beautiful shots in this episode, especially involving lighting Connor once he finds out the truth and gets angry about the betrayal. I just have to say that in Grace Under Pressure, the lighting in Zelenka’s lab had a wave affect to it, like light bouncing off water, which was a really nice touch. I also liked that Michael could control Teyla, because of her connection to the Wraith.

Did anyone notice how evil John was in this episode?

I would really like to see the city fly now.

No comments: