About Me

My photo
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Thursday, March 23, 2006

SGA Review: "The Long Goodbye"

SGA “The Long Goodbye” Review

Episode No.: 217 (SA); 216 (Overseas)
First Aired in SA: 15 March 2006
Character Episode of: Main Cast: Dr Elizabeth Weir; Recurring Cast: Col. Steven Caldwell

Rating: 5

Wow! Hot damn, I love a good action episode. Very soon after the story begun, I thought to myself this is really good. I loved this episode. It is one of my favourites of both seasons, but it is especially a highlight of season 2. I liked that there was some character continuity, something that has been very lacking or very subtle. Col. Caldwell is back after recovering from having the snake zapped from his brain and everybody is still very suspicious of him since the events of “Critical Mass” and they’re all willing to acknowledge that. I think it was nice that this story was about Weir and Sheppard being possessed by an alien and gaining an understanding of what happened to Caldwell, and there’s a strong link to Rodney having to share his brain in “Duet”. Now they can start a club. I found it interesting that Rodney didn’t really bother to acknowledge Caldwell at the start of the episode but they eventually got a nice banter going, where Caldwell really measures up to Rodney. Would like to see more of that.

So basically, everybody was getting their ass kicked! Loved it. Well, actually they were getting shot with Wraith stunners, but still, everybody was hitting the ground. I am so glad for Torri. I know she’s done tough gal action roles in the past and now we can see her acting chops, and her beating John. I loved when possessed Weir doesn’t get her way and shoots the view screen to get her frustration out. Excellent stuff. I still feel that Elizabeth is very under-utilised.

I was reading in the Star Trek Magazine about the cancellation of Enterprise and Star Trek and it was suggested that the audience has just grown tired of it. A new spin off starts and everybody watches the first season and then the ratings drop because it’s just not fresh enough for the audience. I’m a bit scared that this may happen to Atlantis. I’m sort of already thinking that Sheppard and Rodney need a new look, or something new.

I loved that Ronan got shot with a real bullet because that made the situation so much more serious. And also when Teyla is passed out in the middle of a doorway that is closing on her. It was also real drama to have Teyla in the position of been responsible for sacrificing John or sacrificing three quarters of the city.

I can’t believe John thought it was a good idea to let an alien entity use his body as a vessel. I can’t believe Rodney thought it was a good idea! Even worse, I can’t believe there isn’t an established chain of command, in case Weir and Sheppard are out of the picture. I’m glad that Caldwell made himself the leader because Rodney is well, bad with people, and too hyper to give commands. Beckett isn’t a decision maker (I know he can make medical decisions but see “The Intruder”). It was quite funny that the power comes back on when he finishes the surgery on Ronan.

I think it’s great when it is illustrated that Earthlings are different from the other races they work with. In this episode the Earth team members discussed TV with the aliens, Ronan and Teyla. Teyla has watched football on a TV before so she is familiar with the “box”.

The Long Goodbye was a really great title for this episode. The SFX of the outside of the city was great to see again and added this time was really nice camera work through the halls of the city. I really appreciate when money is spent on great bits like that.


Quotes:

Dex: “Alright, we need to split up. I'll take Sheppard, you go after Weir.”
Teyla: “Why?”
Dex: “'Cause I know how he thinks. I don't have the slightest clue how she thinks.”

Dex: “So people just sit and watch this box for hours at a time?”
Sheppard: “Yeah, people do.”
Teyla: “Is it that engaging?”
Sheppard: “Depends what's on it. There are lots of programmes on dozens of channels, every day, all day.”
McKay: “Most of which are fictional representations of ridiculously attractive people in absurd situations.”
Sheppard: “There are educational programmes, all sorts of documentaries. Not many people watch 'em but, uh, well, they're on.”
Dex: “And that's what everybody on your planet does for entertainment? Watch a box?”
McKay: “Not everyone - although I will confess to the occasional half hour of “Jeopardy”.”
Dex: “Jeopardy?”
McKay: “It's the name of the show - "Jeopardy".”
Dex: “Sounds dangerous.”
Sheppard: “Double jeopardy - that's twice as dangerous.”

Caldwell: “So while my ship flies in circles I thought I'd beam down early and see if I could do a little repair work of my own.”

Sheppard: “You OK?”
Weir: “Doctor Weir is fine.”
Sheppard: “Doctor Weir doesn't talk about herself in the third person.”

Weir: “He escaped the ship - she's certain of it and, uh ... (she laughs) the rush of emotion is ... it's overwhelming.”
Sheppard: “I can imagine.”
McKay (pointedly): “No, no, you can't.”
Sheppard: “No -- I can't.”

McKay (nervously): “Security, this is Doctor Rodney McKay. Everything is fine, never been better. Uh, Colonel Caldwell was kidding when he said what he said...”
WEIR (irritably): Oh, forget it. (She shoots him.)

Beckett: “I should go along too. Marines could be hurt.”
McKay: “Exactly! Marines may have been injured. We can't go down there!”

Caldwell: “How soon 'til it's operational again?”
McKay: “I just got here! I have no idea!”
Caldwell: “McKay, report please.”
McKay: “Still working.”
Caldwell: “It doesn't have to be pretty, Doctor, just get the primary systems up and running again.”
McKay: “Yeah, that is what I'm doing.”

Caldwell: “Well, try not to kill each other while I'm gone.”

No comments: